Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Offbeat Photography for Weddings

SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE AMAZING PHOTOGRAPHY



Living in Wilmington for sometime now has had its perks. I have been drawn to this port city after my father retired from the service back when i was in high school. It has had its charm and i could say that my photography career started here back in the late 90's.

I used to frequent visit the old cape fear camera store with my girlfriend at the time and i would just drool over the camera's that the store carried at the time. No this was not the digital age yet.. But i did have a old trusty olympus om-1 camera that my father had given me.

Never having a chance to experience a professional camera store through my word travels as a military dependent i had finally found my oyster. Wilmington NC soon became my destination of choice whenever there was a photography need. I would take rolls and rolls of film in the neighboring farmlands and historic store fronts. I soon developed a taste for B&W photography and would enjoy shooting my family and friends in old abandoned houses. I guess you could say, i started to cut my teeth as a trash the dress or offbeat wedding photographer way before it became cliche.

My dreams as a professional photographer seemed far off. I used to just pretend i was famous. I must say i was going broke with all the film i had taken and well like only three photos would be good. I had no teacher's i was self taught at the time.

Years past, It was me and my trusty olympus om-1. which later came to the om-4 titanium.. this was a 400.oo dollar camera at the time, and to me that might as well been thousands. i saved my money and my craft grew.

A few more years past from my early days in Wilmington NC. I moved to the big city of Orlando florida. The big city.. lol... ya right, but it was a magical place to me. so much to offer and the friendships and mentorships i had there would shape my life for years to come.

I found a school of the arts there, it was a small private college that offered a photography course for black and white photographers. I found my dream, I signed u right away and well learned the darkroom very fast. I would stay for hours in there, they had to turn the lights off to get me to leave.. I found my passion, it was in me all along, finally my love.

The first few rolls of film after learning composition truly stunned my instructor. It was of my daughter samantha. To think of it, offbeat photography would have described it perfectly. but that word was not as trendy as it is now.

So fast foward, & years later, back in Wilmington NC. I had alot happen from having my work posted on the sets on One Tree Hill, to the walls of my many follwers. I started to know i had a gift. That gift was being birthed from within and i was lovin it.

I am now a destination wedding photographer mentored by some of the finest wedding photographers in the industry. Life was enjoyed as a published surf photographer for many a covers on magazine's gracing the shelves of popular bookstores. Worked alongside great artist's and other budding photographers in the surf culture.

Those days in the surf industry have allowed me to make many many misatkes with my lighting and style. I have learned to push the envelope and have been able to study natural light and how it affects mood and atmospher's . I not only was evolving in my craft technically but also inner personally. I was seeing life. Color. & Spirit. What a blessing, life is good.

So here i am today. Wilmington NC Wedding Photographer with a unique style and blend. people have asked me how i do it. I cannot explain. Not to be cocky but i feel it is my destiny. I was created by a creator to be creative and to share this with those around me. I enjoy wedding photography in Wilmington. I enjoy family portraits on the beach anywhere the sunsets.

I love people. and trust that those who love life and desire something different in a photographer that somehow destiny will find them too. By some divine plan we will cross paths and i will be able to be your professional choice as a portrait or wedding photographer for your Wilmington wedding.

Chris Van Atta Photography

Capturing the Spirit of Life.

No comments: